Kris in Japan

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ode to my Kotatsu


This beautiful piece of furniture is my kotatsu. Functioning as a regular coffee table during the warm seasons, this bad boy has a little heater on the underside that plugs into the wall to create a sacred space in my world without central heating. The table top lifts off, allowing me to put a thick, fuzzy blanket over the table to trap the heat but maintain a hard surface for movie watching, elementary school lesson planning, dinner eating and anything else that I do in my apartment when I'm not sleeping. I have a little space heater that I put behind me and literally sit on the floor under the kotatsu for hours and hours everyday.

Also on my little table is a bowl of mikan (Japanese clementine-type citrus fruits), these are the other half of the Japanese Winter Survival Kit -- I easily go through a bag of 15 or so mikan each week. Every now and then the teachers at my school remember that I ride my bike everyday (even in the crazy wind and snow), leading them to fuss over my health for a few minutes. Our conversation almost always goes something like this:

teacher:
It's cold, isn't it?! Is it cold like this in New York?
me: The outside temperature is colder, but when you go inside it's always warm. All of the rooms are heated. (unlike Japan, where I see my breath in the hallways at school and in my kitchen)
teacher: Wow, that sounds great... do you have a kotatsu??
me: Yes. I sit under it all night.
teacher: ...and mikan?
me: I eat them all the time.
teacher: Good. It's Japanese culture to be cold in winter, but you can stay healthy if you eat mikan and use your kotatsu.

...or you could throw a little Pink Panther insulation in these paper thin walls. Either way, this is my all-time favorite table in the world and I've got a few more months to enjoy our love affair!


4 Comments:

  • i love the whole "eat this and you'll be ok" mentality of a lot of east asia. my grandma tries to tell me the same kind of thing.

    also, your idea of insulation is clearly ridiculous.

    By Blogger byron, at 1/29/2006 4:20 AM  

  • i wish i could find my kotatsu cord and find out the true beauty of a HEATING kotatsu. instead, mine is just a cheap, rickety table.

    By Blogger Izzy, at 1/29/2006 7:22 PM  

  • Kotatsus are indeed the greatest things on the planet. Well, other than insulation.

    Next time someone brings up possibly getting sick from riding your bike to work, instead of talking about mikan, perhaps try something along the lines of, "You know, I bet I wouldn't get sick if you drove me here!" Yay for Japanese people being unable to say no! Let's taking advantage of the system!

    By Blogger Jeff Santilli, at 2/07/2006 7:04 PM  

  • Greetings Kristine! I hope all is well. I love reading your blog -- it's like having you in the office, but only, you're on the other side of the world. So glad you're enjoying life! Best, Bernadette

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/11/2006 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home