Kris in Japan

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

kouyou

...I'm pretty sure that's the Japanese word for "autumn colors."

It's been my impression so far that the changing of the leaves is cause for a special type of excitement here in Japan. I live relatively close to a famous mountain village, well known for its spectacular scenery year-round, but especially during autumn color viewing. The hours of traffic and jam-packed mountain trains are unreal as people from every corner of the universe try to get into Nikko during their days off. I've been advised by Kiryu locals that I would be insane to attempt the pilgrimage to Nikko and guaranteed that I won't be missing anything...they'll be plenty of beautiful scenery in my own backyard.

And they were right! I've been waiting for it to happen, to see what the fuss is all about, and overnight the leaves around Kiryu started to change. It really struck me on Tuesday afternoon when I rode through a little park on my way to the library. Though its not really any different from autumn on Long Island or in Ithaca, its still pretty and makes me forgive a little bit of the awful weather we've been having lately.




Hopefully the sunshine will hold out through this weekend and I can finally enjoy a Sunday in Kamakura (third time's a charm?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home