Kris in Japan

Thursday, August 25, 2005

English Room Project.. please help!! (especially with postcards)

As the title of this post suggests, I am starting to gather materials to decorate a room in one of my junior highs. This “English Room” will be my space to decorate and use as I wish, with the goal of encouraging international interest in my students through exposure to different cultures. So…although the materials that I am hoping to collect are not explicitly academic in nature, they are things that I think my students would be interested in and maybe that interest will motivate their study of English, or lead to the formation of goals to travel or study abroad.

These ‘things’ that I want to decorate my room with are everyday items that would be commonplace in American homes and represent the interests of American teenagers. Naturally, these things are impossible to find in Japan. I am writing this post in the hopes that people from home would be willing to send me an envelope of flat, lightweight representations of pop culture found around their home. Please do not think of this as running out to the store and buying lots of souvenirs, my ideal items are:

--Posters (athletes, sports teams, singers/bands, movies, tv shows, maps, local events)
--the pictures from old calendars
--old g-rated magazines (Sports Illustrated, ESPN, teen People, teen vogue, Entertainment Weekly, TIME, even Highlights magazine)
--felt pennants (colleges, sports teams)

I am also interested in children’s books and late elementary school-level chapter books. However, like magazines, books get heavy quickly; so if you think that you are willing to send things like this, please get in touch with me first…there may be a way to gather them all and send them by one of the cheaper book-rate postage rates.

Like I said, flat, lightweight things are the best for me to hang, and cheapest for you to ship…and used magazines/posters/calendars are perfect, I’m not looking for anything new.

If you’re interested, I put the postage-rate information for sending ENVELOPES (its considerably cheaper than sending a 'parcel') to Japan at the bottom of the post.

Finally, and most importantly, I am also collecting postcards from everyone who will send them. This seems like the most interesting way to collect pictures from around the US and abroad, and postage to Japan is only $0.70!! My goal is to use them as wallpaper in my English Room, so if you don’t want to send anything else, please please please send me postcards!!

I’m sorry to be a pest, begging for packages only a month after arriving in Japan, but I think that this is one of the most hands-on ways for me to expose my students to English and I’d like to give it my best shot. If you have any questions, or would prefer to ship to my apartment, please email me… Thank you so much for helping!

Send to:
Kristine Tyson c/o Mr. Iizumi
Board of Education
Gunma-ken Kiryu-shi Orihime-cho 1-1
376-8501
JAPAN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

USPS Airmail to Japan
(price by weight in ounces)
1 $0.80
2 1.70
3 2.60
4 3.50
5 4.40
6 5.30
7 6.20
8 7.10
12 8.40
16 9.70
20 11.00
24 12.30
28 13.60
32 14.90
36 16.25
40 17.60
44 18.95
48 20.30
52 21.70
56 23.10
60 24.50
64 25.90

USPS Economy Mail to Japan - Envelopes
(price by weight in ounces)
16 $4.05
20 4.70
24 5.35
28 6.00
32 6.65
36 7.25
40 7.85
44 8.45
48 9.05
52 9.65
56 10.25
60 10.85
64 11.45

Cheaper International Mail Options
Regular M-Bags
Weight Not Over 11 lbs. $16.50
Each additional pound or fraction of a pound $1.50
Allowable Contents:
--Printed Matter
(Printed matter is admissible in M-bags. Printed matter is defined as paper on which words, letters, characters, figures, images, or any combination thereof, not having the character of a bill or statement of account, or of actual or personal correspondence, have been reproduced by any process other than handwriting or typewriting. Articles that meet the printed matter definition include newspapers, magazines, journals, books, sheet music, catalogues, directories, commercial advertising, and promotional matter.)
--Merchandise
(Articles of merchandise may be enclosed in M-bags, provided that all of the following conditions of mailing are met:
a. The merchandise items being sent are limited to disks, tapes, and cassettes; commercial samples shipped by manufacturers and distributors; or other non-dutiable commercial articles or informational materials that are not subject to resale.
b. The merchandise items relate to the printed matter (see 261.21) with which they are being mailed.
c. The merchandise items are affixed to or are otherwise combined with the accompanying printed matter.
d. The weight of each mailpiece or package, which contains merchandise in combination with printed matter, may not exceed 4 pounds.
e. The M-bag must be accompanied by a fully completed PS Form 2976, Customs - CN 22 (Old C1) and Sender's Declaration, which is to be affixed to PS Tag 158, M-bag Addressee Tag.)


Books & Sheet Music, Publisher's Periodicals
Weight Not Over 11 lbs. $11.00
Each additional pound or fraction of a pound $1.00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home